Re: [Groff] man makro oddity

From: Tadziu Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Groff] man makro oddity
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 18:24:04 +0100

> I do not think there is anything to "fix", it is simply
> a question of helping users. Empty lines before .TH are
> most likely not what the user intended. *if* some can
> fix that easy (read: print a warning) someone should do.

You could put this in the manpage macro file:

  .de blankwarn
  .tm Manual pages should not contain blank lines.
  ..
  .blm blankwarn

and in TH, call

  .blm

to unset the warning again.  (Or just leave it in, because
manpages really shouldn't contain blank lines in the text
-- to begin a paragraph, one of the paragraph macros
should be used explicitly.  For code fragments we could
use a custom code macro, which temporarily disables the
warning.)