Re: [Groff] setting PD with ms macros has no apparent effect

From: Pierre-Jean
Subject: Re: [Groff] setting PD with ms macros has no apparent effect
Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 08:46:51 +0200

rumexCrispus <address@hidden> wrote:

> I wrote the following expecting the gap between paragraphs to increase from
> .3v to .6v.  Can anyone suggest what I have missed.  I am invoking it as:
> groff -ms abc.groff -X
>
> test
> .br
> test2
> .br
> PD \n[PD]
> .br
> .nr PD .6v \" ( \n[PD] * 4 )
> .br
> PD \n[PD]
> .LP
> .bp
> .br
> test
> .br
> test2
> .br
>
> --

Hello,

As far as I understand groff:

The PD number register is used by the paragraphs macro of ms
(PP, LP, QP, XP and probably IP).

The .br operator break lines, but is not what ms consider as
a new paragraph. PP is a paragraph style, .br is only a
new line.

In your test, you should replace .br by one of the paragraph
macro.

Pierre-Jean.