Re: [Groff] Problem with bottom page margin in MM

From: Anton Shepelev
Subject: Re: [Groff] Problem with bottom page margin in MM
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2010 00:51:25 +0400

Tasziu Hoffmann:

> Yes, of course.  But that "+1v" is also "wrong" in troff mode.
> Better to always use
>
>   'sp |\\n[pg*foot-trap]u
>
> (without the "+1v") in address@hidden, and
>
>   .if n .wh \\n[pg*foot-trap]u       address@hidden
>   .if t .wh \\n[pg*foot-trap]u-1v+1u address@hidden
>
> in address@hidden

Thank you for your reply, Tadziu.

I  didn't  understand how your code will work. The
address@hidden trap performs a move to a position spec-
ified by an absolute distance, while you only pro-
pose to change the line at which the trap is trig-
gered.  This will not change the way it prints the
footnotes, becuase  it  uses  absolute  addressing
inside.  Or maybe I am misunderstanding something?

Here's my solution (I did't want to change  m.tmac
itself):

.am address@hidden
.   if n \{\
.      if \\n[ft*note-size]>0 .nr pg*foot-trap -1v
.   \}
..

which  changes the position at which the footnotes
are printed. I have tested it in nroff mode.

Here I am re-calculating the height of  the  foot-
note  block  to  compensate  for  the  +1v  in the
pg*foot-trap register, which needs to be done only
if there are footnotes.

Looks  like  the  problem  may  lie not in the way
groff invokes traps, but in the calculation of the
pg*foot-trap  register. I'll check how groff type-
sets the same example in PostScript.

Anton