[Groff] tbl: contolling table width

From: Anton Shepelev
Subject: [Groff] tbl: contolling table width
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2010 16:05:12 +0400

Hello all,

I  am trying to adopt tbl for typesetting tables and
have found one problem that I don't know from  which
side to approach. It is connected with table width.

How  to  make my tables' width dependent on the line
length setting? For example, should I want to  type-
set  my document with another line width, I'd prefer
to change only one setting instead of modifying  the
format strings of all the tables.

The  problem  is  that tbl is a pre-processor and no
register interpolations are made by tbl.

In the simplest scenario it can be assumed that only
the  last column of my tables must be 'stretchable'.
Is it  possible  to  have  its  width  automatically
adjusted so that the table would take maximum possi-
ble width (taking into account the current indent)?

Thank you in advance,
Anton