RE: [Groff] Inline Images

From: Ted Harding
Subject: RE: [Groff] Inline Images
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2010 19:07:21 +0100 (BST)

On 16-Oct-10 16:45:49, Paul O'Leary McCann wrote:
> Is there any standard way of putting images inline? Sparklines aren't
> what I had in mind, but they're an example of the sort of thing I'd
> like
> to be able to do.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sparkline
>
> I've usually used the PSPIC macro when I need to insert and image,
> though I've occasionally used Heirloom troff's requests, but if there's
> a way to get either of them to inline images I haven't figure it out.
> -POLM

PSPIC won't be much use for in-line images, since the standard
implementations of the macro cause a line break!

The best way is to define a special-purpose macro which uses the
escape-sequence "\X'ps: import ... ". There was a discussion of
"sparklines" a while ago, which is essentially the same problem
(though with some extra constraints). I did a demo file (with
full explanation) at that time which can be found at:

  http://www.zen89632.zen.co.uk/Misc/do_spark_howto.pdf

This demo example uses the EPS file which can be found at

  http://www.zen89632.zen.co.uk/Misc/spark.average.fund.size.eps

You can probably use/adapt the methods described there for your
own needs. If you have further questions, please come back to us!

Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <address@hidden>
Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 094 0861
Date: 16-Oct-10                                       Time: 19:07:18