Re: [Groff] odd interaction between .bl and .(c in -me macros

From: brian m. carlson
Subject: Re: [Groff] odd interaction between .bl and .(c in -me macros
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2012 00:24:03 +0000

On Fri, Jan 06, 2012 at 11:50:44PM +0100, Ingo Schwarze wrote:
> Tadziu Hoffmann wrote on Thu, Jan 05, 2012 at 09:06:28PM +0100:
>
> > Is there a maintainer for the macro package?  If so, maybe the
> > patch should be applied upstream.  For the space-testing macro
> > I used a two-character name (in a style similar to other "me"
> > internal macros), because the "me" macros are also used with
> > other roffs (notably Plan 9 troff and Heirloom troff).
>
> In case you receive no other response:
>
> Eric Paul Allman is still alive and happily hacking:
>
>   http://www.neophilic.com/~eric/
>
> I doubt that he is still maintaining his e-macros personally,
> but very probably he can at least tell you whether he passed on
> maintenance to anybody else or knows about any distribution that
> could be considered "upstream".

There are two sets of the -me macros.  One is the set that is still used
on BSD systems today.  The other is the set that's part of groff that
was derived from an earlier BSD version and heavily modified.  Which one
you use depends on which system you have: BSDs use their version and
GNU/Linux systems use groff's.