Re: [Groff] Parsing specific section of man page

From: Siteshwar Vashisht
Subject: Re: [Groff] Parsing specific section of man page
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2012 19:29:23 +0530

No, I am in no way interested in X. I am working on a shell, and the idea
is to show suggestions for command line options on pressing tab. So let's
say on pressing "ls<TAB>", I will get all the command line options for ls
command. Now a good idea is to fetch these options from manual pages.

@Larry, I am trying to do same thing with Python. Since I need to parse the
structure of OPTIONS section for completions. Any suggestion for parsing
man page sections are welcome ?

On Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 5:23 PM, Ralph Corderoy <address@hidden>wrote:

> Hi Siteshwar,
> > What if I want to parse only OPTIONS section ? I am looking for
> > something like :-
> >
> > groff -X -P -resolution -P100 -man -parse-section "OPTIONS" passwd
> Can you tell us why you want to do this?  Is it only -X output you're
> interested in, for example.
> Cheers, Ralph.

"A belief may be larger than a fact."
Vannevar Bush