Re: [Groff] typesetting Czech with custom fonts

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] typesetting Czech with custom fonts
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 06:53:13 +0200 (CEST)

>> Much easier, much shorter.
>
> that is very much what I would like to use.  And I tried, I actually
> use it always by default, but I still end up with missing
> characters.  You didn't have by any chance have a look at the
> file/fonts I mailed you off-list?  I suspect I simply didn't convert
> them correctly, but I have no idea what could be wrong.

The TrueType fonts are incorrectly converted to Type 1; they lack many
characters.  I suggest to use FontForge; here's a description how to
do it:

  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/groff/2012-03/msg00020.html

BTW, this can be scripted so that you don't need to actually call the
graphical interface of FontForge:

  # generate.pe

  Open($1);
  Generate($fontname + ".pfa"); # this also generates the .afm file
  Generate($fontname + ".t42");

Call this with e.g.

  fontforge -script generate.pe GS_CE_.TTF

> As I previously wrote, I used the method from mom's manual.

Interesting.  I don't have time to verify the steps (and I don't know
some of the involved programs), but you did it, and you failed.  So
maybe the instructions should be revised.  Peter?

Attached is the output of a small example file Petr sent to me, after
converting the PS file with ps2pdf.