Re: [Groff] Bottom Line of tbl Cell.

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Groff] Bottom Line of tbl Cell.
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2012 16:41:57 +0100

Hi Denis,

> but observe that there are two warnings (I always use -ww):
>
> warning: number register `3bot' not defined
> warning: macro `T&' not defined
>
> You need a .nr 3bot 0 and .if !d T& .ds T&
>
> before .TS

Thanks for pointing these out.

The 3bot warning is present even if I remove my explicit use of it from
foo.tbl;  I think tbl's at fault for not initialising it and all tables
generate it?

Similarly

    $ sed 5q foo.tr
    .if !\n(.g .ab GNU tbl requires GNU troff.
    .if !dTS .ds TS
    .if !dTE .ds TE
    .lf 1 foo.tbl
    .\" set -eu
    $

Should tbl not have a conditional .ds T& to match the TS and TE?

> The best I could do was replace your 3bot line by the two lines
>
>     T}
>     \^:3,141.59
>
> which would put the number in a more conventional place, vertically
> centred.

The real-life example is more like

    1  mulberry finalized spoilage
    1  pores bathrobe's simplified
    1  subsidization's
    1
    1  synopsizes astrakhan's virility
    1  corsets Uranus's extramarital       1,111.11

    2  integrates cachet's morpheming      2,222.22

    3  Csonka Morrison's
    3
    3  plectrums
    3
    3  tunic Chartres circumference's
    3  multiples
    3
    3  Feynman's Bacall's privileging
    3  mural's Secretariat's stockaded      3,333.33

where the amount is for the item it's level with the bottom of and all
preceding items since the previous amount, as shown by the leading
digits which wouldn't normally be present.  So vertically centred would
be harder to parse.

> Also rather than using cat -s why not put the following at the end:
>
> .br
> .pl \n[nl]u

True, but it's part of a bigger document and I'd have to make it
conditional on the device so the PDF still triggers the footer.  Plus
`cat -s' squeezes multiple blank lines everywhere, not just the trailing
ones.

Cheers, Ralph.