[Groff] ps: import of an EPS file with binary data

From: Steve Izma
Subject: [Groff] ps: import of an EPS file with binary data
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2012 14:28:28 -0400

I'm using convert (from imagemagick) to crop and convert pbm
images into encapsulated postscript. When I prefix the output
filename with eps2: I get a very compact EPS file where the image
data is contained as binary like this:

userdict begin
%%BeginData:        72200 Binary Bytes
DisplayImage
[a few lines of integers]
[72200 binary bytes, presumably]
%%EndData
end

The resulting image is displayable (e.g., in okular), but when it
gets imported into groff with either .PSPIC or \X'ps: import ...'
only the first part of the binary gets cleanly imported into the
PostScript output (up to the first newline character) and the
rest becomes a series of ^M's -- which print black.

I realize that up to now all the images I've been converting to
EPS for use in groff contain the image in ASCII format, but I was
hoping to reduce file size with this "convert" output. As far as
I can tell, the output conforms to PS LanguageLevel 2 (flagged by
the "eps2:" prefix in the convert commandline).

Is there some other flag or option I've overlooked?

        Thanks,
        -- Steve

--
Steve Izma                                address@hidden
    Computing Systems Administrator       519-884-0710 ext. 6125

    Wilfrid Laurier University Press      http://www.wlupress.wlu.ca
    Waterloo, Ont., Canada N2L 3C5        http://nestor.wlu.ca/blog
Our e-newsletter http://www.wlupress.wlu.ca/press/General/signupform.shtml