Re: [Groff] passing groff special chars to pdfmark as bookmarks

From: smoore
Subject: Re: [Groff] passing groff special chars to pdfmark as bookmarks
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 06:53:38 -0600

Is it the single quote apostrophe that is causing the problem, or, is
it something
else ?   Were I to pass the string with the french special character
\['e] it is the
'é' that gets dropped and for the word Séance I get Sance as a bookmark.

Is the string that gets passed after the trin an \[\[aq]e] ?

The goal is to have all diacritc chars flow through without being dropped.

On Mon, 10 Sep 2012 00:45:13 +0100, Deri James
<address@hidden> wrote:
On Sunday 09 Sep 2012 16:28:04 address@hidden wrote:
> Can you explain in your own words what is happening with
> .trin '\C'aq' please.  > > I have a text procesing sequence that
does not afford the time
> at the moment to re-engineer how I build pdfs, gs / pdfroff. > >
Relying on groff to rip postcript and using ps2pdf to complete
> the pdf, the above trin function does not provide successful
> translation of special char flow through to pdf.   > > Any other
ways to get this to work without -Tpdf ?
> > Thanks. The .trin command is converting the apostrophy character
to the groff chracter ’aq’ (apostrophe quote) which I assumed was
correct for the word "l’avant-
midi".

Have you tried processing the pdf produced from -T pdf through gs,
ghostscript can accept pdf as input as well as postscript. This may
allow you to use your normal commands to control the pdf production.

Cheers Deri