Re: [Groff] _Unix Text Processing_ on Hacker News.

From: Deri James
Subject: Re: [Groff] _Unix Text Processing_ on Hacker News.
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 18:03:10 +0000

On Tuesday 11 Dec 2012 19:21:53 Ralph Corderoy wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> > The O'Reilly book members of this list re-created, _Unix Text
> > Processing_, is getting some discussion on Hacker News at the moment.
> > Thought it may be of interest to the list.
> > http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=3D4902595
>
> One comment that came up there...
>
>     Is it also possible to generate the PDF hyperlinks/outline so it is
>     easier to navigate the document?
>
> Now time's passed, should we re-issue UTP links in the PDF?  I think
> work by others here means that's more do-able than back then.
>
> Cheers, Ralph.

Hi Ralph,

I thought I might have a go at this. The attached patch adds the required
hyperlinks. Use like this:-

address@hidden a]$ patch -p1 <../patch-utp-1.0
patching file front.t
patching file ix.macro
patching file Makefile
patching file mkindex.pl
patching file see.terms
patching file toc.awk
patching file utp_book.t
patching file utp.mac
address@hidden a]$ rm -rf index #optional - no longer used
address@hidden a]$ chmod +x mkindex.pl
address@hidden a]$ make

Assuming the fix for ch09 has already been applied.

The make now uses the gropdf driver. I rewrote the index generator completely
and currently there are a few differences/glitches in the order of entries,
but the content is all there. It is still a work in progress so please suggest
improvements. One problem is that it fails if you use pdfroff at the moment (a
ghostscript error) so I'm still looking into this.

Cheers

Deri