[Groff] quick and dirty preprocessors: htbl.tes

From: Robin Haberkorn
Subject: [Groff] quick and dirty preprocessors: htbl.tes
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2013 17:52:02 +0200

Hi,

one thing I like about groff/troff is the ability to quickly write
preprocessors extending troff.
I wrote one as part of SciTECO -- in the SciTECO language:
https://github.com/rhaberkorn/sciteco/blob/master/doc/htbl.tes
(Note: contains control codes not properly displayed by Github)
It's a "drop-in" replacement for tbl, that emits HTML tables for
processing with grohtml.
The code is horrible (it was hacked interactively and then turned into
a batch script), and it only supports a subset of tbl, that is exactly
what I used in the SciTECO manpage tables.
It can be seen in action here:
http://rhaberkorn.github.io/sciteco/manuals/sciteco.7.html

I've also written a small preprocessor in csnobol4 that pipes
.HIGHLIGHT blocks in your groff -mom code through GNU
source-highlight, effectively giving you syntax highlighting for
inline code blocks and an UML preprocessor that pipes .UML blocks into
PlantUML and inserts .PDF_IMAGE references in its place.
Anyone interested in these?

Best regards,
Robin