Re: [Groff] refer, mom and inline references

From: Peter Schaffter
Subject: Re: [Groff] refer, mom and inline references
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 13:38:43 -0400

Robin --

On Tue, Aug 13, 2013, Robin Haberkorn wrote:
> > At the top of your file,
> >
> >   .R1
> >     label "(A.n|Q) ', ' D.y"
> >     bracket-label " (" ")\c" ""
> >     join-authors ", and " ", " ", and "
> >     reverse A1
> >     sort A1Q1T1B1E1
> >     database <path to database>
> >   .R2
> >
> > With this setup, references entered without a preceding .REF are
> > inserted into running text.  For example,
> >
> >   end of sentence
> >   .[
> >   keywords
> >   .]
> >   \&. A new sentence.
> >
> Works like a charm, thanks!

When I was re-writing the mom/refer documentation (now done,
CVS committed, and online), I came across a refer command that
simplifies things even further.  (The refer manpage is so terse that
one can easily miss something, or the significance of it.)  The
command is "move-punctuation", and it obviates the need for \c, and
\& before periods.  Change the refer block, above, to

  .R1
  label "(A.n|Q) ', ' D.y"
  bracket-label " (" ")" ", "
  join-authors ", and " ", " ", and "
  move-punctuation
  reverse A1
  sort A1Q1T1B1E1
  database <path to database>
  .R2

With this setup, instead of this:

> >   end of sentence
> >   .[
> >   [ keywords
> >   .], p. 168)\c
> >   \&. A new sentence...

you can simply enter

  end of sentence.
  .[
  [ keywords
  .], p. 168)
  A new sentence...

IOW, wordspace and correct placement of punctuation in the text is
taken care of automatically.  This should ease things for you
considerably.  When it comes time to output the bibliography,

  .BIBLIOGRAPHY
  .[
  $LIST$
  .]