Re: [Groff] question about .rs and .nop

From: Ulrich Lauther
Subject: Re: [Groff] question about .rs and .nop
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2013 21:57:43 +0200

On Tue, Sep 03, 2013 at 01:40:31PM -0400, Peter Schaffter wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 27, 2013, Ulrich Lauther wrote:
> > However, when the user explicitely requests a new page, this seems
> > not to be needed: he/she knows that following text goes to a new page
> > and should be free to position it where he/she wants.
> > In my case, I use groff/mom (in the past groff/mm) to generate slides.
> > If a slide contains not much text, I want to start not at the very top.
>
> I'm not sure why
>
>   .NEWPAGE
>   .ADD_SPACE <value>
>   Slide text
>
> isn't satisfactory.  It breaks to a new page and lets you place the
> text where you want, which sounds like what you're after, though
> apparently it's not.

This works perfectly fine. My only problem is that the principle of least
astonishment
is violated: why have I to use ADD_SPACE instead of SP just because I am at the
top of
the page?
Seems to me an unneeded complication. Is there a deeper reason to make SP
disfunctional
after an *explicit* page break?

        -ulrich