Re: [Groff] need help resolving groff error

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Groff] need help resolving groff error
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2013 23:46:13 +0100

Hi charlie,

> > It looks like a mismatch between the mode used to open the temporary
> > file and the mode that's then used to map a FILE* onto it with
> > fdopen.

> I have versions that *were* working prior to a reprovisioning of the
> 2008R2 Server. I have lousy install docs (this is my own fault) and
> after review of your trace results... I'm wondering if my issue is as
> simple as groff not being able to find the TEMP directory...

No, I don't think so because it's fdopen that's failing;  this wraps a
file descriptor, an integer, with a FILE* used by stdio.h.  groff will
have checked that the file descriptor was successfully obtained before
bothering to call fdopen.

> I have created the following environment variables hoping that one
> would do the trick - but, no.
>
> TEMP=C:\TEMP
> TMP=C:\TEMP
> TMPDIR=C:\TEMP
> GROFF_TMPDIR=C:\TEMP

groff's temp_init::temp_init() (Mmm, C++) on Windows uses the first env.
var. of GROFF_TMPDIR, TMPDIR, TMP, and TEMP before falling back on a
hard-coded default.

To test my above point, set GROFF_TMPDIR to C:/not/to/be/found and it
should be used and the fdopen not reached.

My guess is earlier groffs hadn't tidied grops up to use a centralised
temporary file routine that has this Windows issue?

--
Cheers, Ralph.
https://plus.google.com/115649437518703495227