Re: [Groff] Fw: Installing/Running groff-1.21 on W7 x64

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [Groff] Fw: Installing/Running groff-1.21 on W7 x64
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 20:00:19 +0300

[PLEASE do not remove the list address from the addressees.]

> From: "John W. Smay" <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2013 17:56:12 -0700
>
> I did unzip a new copy of grotty and it fixed grotty complaints, see details
> in the attachment.   This did not alter groff denied access to troff.

Did you try unzipping all the other executables?  If unzipping grotty
anew helped to fix a similar problem, maybe unzipping them all will
solve more problems?

> I am
> operating in the MKS unix environment so I don't know what .DISPLAY etc is
> or how to deal with it --- I have DISPLAY and $DISPLAY so I don't know what
> to do with all your "remove" remarks below

Here's what I meant:

  . Open a new cmd window.

  . Type "set DISPLAY=" (without quotes) from the cmd command line.

  . Try invoking "groff -v" and see if the problem went away.

  . If the problem persists, repeat that with the other variables I
    mentioned.

> and removing mks from the path is
> a major project basically uninstalling my environment

You don't need to uninstall, just modify the value of Path to exclude
MKS directories.  Use the "set Path" command for that in the cmd
window you opened above, and those changes will only affect programs
that run from that cmd window.  Other shell windows will keep their
original values of Path intact.

> other versions/ports of groff work in this environment.  So I'm kind of
> stumped at this point ................

So am I.  I'm trying to help you find the reason for the failure, but
if you gave up, I won't insist that you try more.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.