Re: [Groff] I have a git conversion of the repo ready for review.

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] I have a git conversion of the repo ready for review.
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2013 10:37:27 +0100 (CET)

> If this conversion looks good to you and Werner I'll add a commit to
> it describing the conversion process and install it at Savannah.

It looks good, thanks a lot!  However, there are some issues.

1.  The commit entry for 1.10 is

      groff before CVS: release 1.09

    and should obviously be

      groff before CVS: release 1.10

2. Look at the commits from 2000-02-06, starting at 10:34:01
   (385c8b0e8cd19436ee3ba12d5d8970e27e0b0dac), ending at 10:40:10
   (58d43cfe3ec21b13fe3f75501b081bca92f295a3).  This is the initial
   import of groff into the Savannah CVS.  Can this be handled as
   single git commit?

   I'm quite sure that I did this as a single CVS commit which took
   those six minutes due to a slow modem connection.

   There are many more such series of commits, and I think such series
   should be handled as a single commit in git, too.  Can you improve
   your tool to handle that gracefully?  Perhaps unifying commits that
   have a small time delta (relative to the next commit) and either a
   missing log message, or a log message but no change.

3. The commit bd3759da506a6fc989f9766313f2d38d66e4e1e1 (`Forgot to
   commit this file.') exhibits a bug in the conversion: The affected
   file (tmac.doc.old) was not part of the first CVS import, but
   present in the 1.15 tarball.  It seems that the step

     version 1.15 -> first CVS commit

   didn't properly remove files not in this first CVS commit.

4. For those changes which intentionally lack a commit message, I
   suggest that the name of the changed file(s) is used to synthesize
   one, up to a certain string length.  Example for
   8bf10b34a1f339b2c69a683e08ad4edd91accc3d:

      Update `ChangeLog'.

    We might use the word `Update' for the `ChangeLog' file, and
    `Change' for everything else.