Re: [Groff] space width

From: hohe72
Subject: Re: [Groff] space width
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2014 12:49:37 +0100

Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote (Wed, 29 Jan 2014 06:37:05 +0100
(CET)):
> Given today's memory abundance and the high velocity of CPUs, the
> ideal route would be to implement a document-wide algorithm for
> typesetting a document (in contrast to TeX's page-wide approach).

I think, that an author can prevent any such algorithm to succeed,
especially orphans or enlarged space after periods. It's
therefore better, to give us the tools and we're doing the job.

[OT]
My TODO list would look like that:
- arrays: It's inconsistent in groff to have loops but no arrays.
- math: In pic calculating asin() is atan(x/sqrt(1-x^2)). Nice math, but
  will the time spend be honored?
- Square root in eqn. (Especially when deploying font height.)
- Underlining across line breaks.

More challenging:
- 3D objects.

When I find the time to develop for groff, the first I do is, removing
the auto ("we think for you") shrink feature of pic.

Holger