Re: [Groff] space width

From: Peter Schaffter
Subject: Re: [Groff] space width
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2014 14:44:17 -0500

On Tue, Feb 04, 2014, Tadziu Hoffmann wrote:

> > But that is no reason why a groff2 could not come into being.
>
> That also gets my vote as the best approach.

Mine, too.  My impression is that, under Werner's leadership, groff
has been brought as far as it can be without crumbling under the
weight of history.  Groff is at a crossroads; either it remains the
"spiffified but encumbered with historical baggage" program that it
is, or it heads off in a new direction that, while respectful of the past,
is not a slave to it.

Gunnar's Heirloom troff strikes me as showing the way.

> (Unfortunately, this will need a charismatic leader willing
> to spend much time and effort in development.  Any takers?
> I might offer ideas and help on twiddly issues, but I'm
> definitely not the leader type.)

Aye, there's the rub.  I suspect I may have the leadership
qualities, but as anyone who goes through the mom code can see, I'm
a rather hamfisted programmer.  Leading a project like this would
require skills I simply do not have.

--
Peter Schaffter
http://www.schaffter.ca