Re: [Groff] The future redux

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] The future redux
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 13:36:50 +0100 (CET)

> The thing I fear is when .glurp arg1 arg2 changes to .glurp arg2
> arg1 , etc.  (I cringe when I watch other languages, Ruby comes to
> mind, make this mistake.  Code, written to the spec, that used to
> work now doesn't?!)

In case someone steps forward and implements an improved syntax
(whatever this improved syntax might look like), it should be
straightforward to provide a `convert-groff' script that updates from
the old to the new syntax.  For example, lilypond
(http://lilypond.org) continuously changed the syntax right before the
last stable release – for very good reasons – and its `convert-ly'
script can handle most of the changes just fine.