Re: [Groff] address@hidden: Re: Back to the future]

From: Peter Schaffter
Subject: Re: [Groff] address@hidden: Re: Back to the future]
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2014 22:41:28 -0500

On Thu, Mar 06, 2014, "Robert Thorsby" wrote:
> However, the groff project has been looking for a new leader for a
> long time -- since Werner first announced his intention to step
> aside. I, for one, am very glad that someone of Peter's calibre is
> being slowly shoehorned into the role. I suspect that most people
> have been silent for fear of spooking the prey (that's enough mixed
> metaphors for one paragraph).

> Peter, you probably missed the quiet request for a leader to step
> forward. If you look around, you will see that we have all taken a
> step backwards -- and all of us (or, perhaps, all but one) are
> applauding.

I guess this, along with Eric's extraordinarily kind words,
means I'd better step up to the plate, eh?  Provided everyone's
comfortable with it.

There's much I don't know about taking the lead in a project
like groff, so I'll be asking for help from those who've had lead
experience, at least until I get my sea legs.  A character in
_Fahrenheit 451_ says at one point, "I got smart by thrusting my
ignorance into other people's faces," or words to that effect, and I
think it's a fine motto.

I don't take offense easily, and criticism is just part of learning,
so don't tread on eggshells if you have comments about my performance.

As for groff itself, and good typography, I care about them
passionately, for reasons it would take a book to explain.  We're
all the same, I think.  Together--list subscribers and those
involved in active development--let's show a certain semantic nut
he's wrong about the future of the printed page. :)

--
Peter Schaffter
http://www.schaffter.ca