[Groff] Advocacy. (Was: Back to the future)

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: [Groff] Advocacy. (Was: Back to the future)
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2014 12:27:45 +0000

Hi Ingo,

> > ancillary to backend improvement, there's a pressing need for groff
> > advocacy.
>
> Sure, that may also help to attract not just users, but developers,
> too.  However, I don't think that advocacy needs to be limited to
> advertising groff for writing novels (and mathematical treatises, of
> course).  I do not consider it detrimental to advertise the basic roff
> macro syntax for manuals, as well.

It seems to me that coders in particular would be happy with troff
syntax if got over the initial hurdle.  Perhaps when we see a missing
man page, or one with errors that gives poor formatting, for a program
we like and are interested in, we can try and find the time to patch,
suggest, or encourage an improvement.  Some of those programmers might
take more of an interest in troff as they realise it and its
preprocessors are not limited to TTY man pages.

After all, we (the list) collectively re-entered UTP.

Cheers, Ralph.