Re: [Groff] Tiny make patch: avoid Netpbm dependency

From: Ingo Schwarze
Subject: Re: [Groff] Tiny make patch: avoid Netpbm dependency
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2014 21:16:08 +0100

Hi,

Steffen Nurpmeso wrote on Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 08:59:29PM +0100:
> Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:

>> Instead, you might contribute a patch to implement a
>> `--without-doc' configure switch that completely disables the
>> generation of documentation files. :-)

Really?  Why would somebody ever want to build a piece of software
without the documentation belonging to it?  Documentation is an
integral part of software, and without the proper documentation,
almost any software is next to useless.

That said, wouldn't such an option further bloat the groff build
system, for no gain at all?  If we are touching the build system,
i'd recommend to simplify it, possibly *removing* useless options
and complications, but not adding yet more complications...

> Really?  Hm, i'll give that a try in the upcoming days and report
> back.

What?  Why would you waste your time on that?  What's the gain?

I am confused.
  Ingo