Re: [Groff] Mission statement

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] Mission statement
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2014 05:43:43 +0100 (CET)

> Groff throws a *lot* of curves like that at users, particularly
> macro writers.  The problem extends beyond the simply incorrect
> computation
>
>   .nr temp 7/3  -->  \n[temp]=2

Well, `.nr' defines an integer register, so this is really OK.  On the
other hand, depending on the register, `\n' returns either an integer
number or a string(!), so I can imagine to overload it again to return
a decimal floating point number, too, in case a new request gets
introduced to define such registers:

  .nrd temp 7/3  --> \n[temp]=2.33333333

Of course, the devil is in the details, especially the interaction
with other requests, so whoever is going to implement that will have a
lot to do :-)