Re: [Groff] [patch] unbreak make install

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] [patch] unbreak make install
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2014 09:01:46 +0200 (CEST)

>> I was handling the rest, fixing `global' glitches here and there.
>> Since I'm no longer actively maintaining groff, the glitches become
>> more visible.  We need someone who is going to handle this...
>> Basically for license issues, Ingo won't do that, which is a pity,
>> but we have to accept.
>
> I am not readily able to gauge the severity and nature of most
> issues reported.  If you think there are certain issues that I
> should be looking at, please assign them to me on Savannah.

What we are discussing right now is not bug handling per se, but
checking the current integrity of the git groff repository, ensuring
that it simply compiles and install.  Ingo has automated this process
with his packaging script, and he is already sending patches.

>> I fully agree that it would be extremely helpful to have both!  I
>> invite you to work on this – it would be a good start to get
>> acquainted with the overall structure of groff without getting
>> `dirty fingers' too early, so to say.
>

> Ok! I will glad to be useful.  I assume we will have to check with
> the GNU server folks to get access to be able to configure stuff.
> I'll do some research on who to bug for this.

I think it's not necessary to bother the GNU server folks.  The idea
is to have a test suite that can be invoked with `make check' (and
probably `make installcheck').  All data should be in the git
repository.  Simply look at other GNU programs like `autoconf' how
they do it.