Re: [Groff] new file DISTRIBUTIONS

From: Ingo Schwarze
Subject: Re: [Groff] new file DISTRIBUTIONS
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2014 20:52:18 +0200

Hi Bernd,

Bernd Warken wrote on Thu, Jul 03, 2014 at 04:50:00PM +0200:

> I propose to start a new file DISTRIBUTIONS in the top directory.
> This file will report the maintainers of known distributions.

I'm not opposed to doing that, even though keeping such a list
up to date can be tedious, and if it gets seriously outdated,
it is worse than having nothing.  Then again, the file can just
be deleted if that ever happens and nobody steps up to fix it.

> ####### DISTRIBUTIONS
> OpenBSD - Ingo Schwarze <address@hidden>
> LinuxMint Debian - Keith Marshall <address@hidden>
> Debian - Colin Watson <address@hidden

Please use "Ingo Schwarze <address@hidden>" for me.
Even though i'm using my personal address as the From: address
when sending mail (to avoid the impression of speaking on
behalf of the OpenBSD project when i'm just expressing my
personal opinion), the published contact address should better
be the official one.

It may be useful to include minimal information helping people
to actually find groff in the various distributions.
For OpenBSD, the minimum would be something like

  "OpenBSD textproc/groff port"

Optionally, it might be useful to include a pointer to the
actual build instructions so people can look at them.
This is particularly interesting for upstream to see how
various distributions are mangling our stuff (remember
questions of the type: "The Gentoo package appears to be
incomplete"?)  For OpenBSD, that would be:

  http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/ports/textproc/groff/

While i'm about it:

  NetBSD pkgsrc textproc/groff port:
    http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/pkgsrc/textproc/groff/