Re: [Groff] Compression support for files?

From: Keith Marshall
Subject: Re: [Groff] Compression support for files?
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2014 19:44:41 +0100

On 17/07/14 12:13, Steffen Nurpmeso wrote:
> Keith Marshall <address@hidden> wrote:
>  |I consider this to be a regression.
>
> The last Windows i've seen anything of other than the browser
> window in an Internet Café was 95B (with Plus package).
> I really wouldn't know how to help you (and/but recalling the
> select(2) wrapper-implementation of Cygwin of ~2002 i'd rather
> wonder if anyone can; waiting on multiple objects seems to be your
> daily bread)!

And what, exactly, has this to do with the subject?  It's 100%
irrelevant to your patch, and completely off-topic.

FYI, I rarely use MS-Windows, and I *never* use Cygwin.  My objection to
your diff had nothing whatsoever to do with my contributions to the
MinGW.org Project, and everything to do with your apparently nefarious
attempt to sneak the completely unnecessary removal of an existing,
potentially useful feature[*], which itself is entirely unrelated to
your declared intent, into your patch.  To further emphasize Ingo's
point, because of this apparently subversive behaviour, I will not even
review your patch further, because I now have zero confidence in its
likely trustworthiness.

[*] 'RM = rm -f' is defined, as a standard default, by GNU make; by
defining it in our makefiles, we extend this feature to other make
implementations.  It isn't MS-Windows which requires this.  99 times out
of 100, I will surely accept the default, but on that other one
occasion, *on my linux box*, I may just want to override it with

  make RM='rm -i' ...

or even

  make RM='echo rm -f' ...

Removal of that capability isn't germane to the intent of your patch; by
trying to sneak this unnecessary change in here, you have destroyed my
confidence in the entire patch set.  If I were the responsible
maintainer, I would have rejected the entire patch set already, without
any further consideration.  You shot yourself in the foot -- don't blame
me for that.

--
Regards,
Keith.