Re: [Groff] [Heirloom] Generating doc/ files

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Groff] [Heirloom] Generating doc/ files
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2014 10:16:41 +0100

Hi,

Werner wrote:
> Mhmm.  According to my dictionary `libertine' has more than a single
> meaning, some of them fitting into the idea of a freely available
> font.  It's not restricted to `rake'.

Right.  http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/libertine
says

    Noun
    2.  A freethinker in matters of religion.
        “In the 1630s as well as the 1670s, Boston was inhabited by
        libertines as well as orthodox Puritans, but in the last quarter
        of the seventeenth century, town leaders feared that they were
        losing control.”

    Adjective
    2.  Freethinking.

    Origin
    ...  In the mid 16th century, imitating French ‘libertin’, the term
    denoted a member of any of various antinomian sects in France...

And I expect they thought the double meaning amusing.  :-)
Could be worse.  Could be a pixel-editor called gimp.

Cheers, Ralph.