[Groff] PDFPIC macro

From: Peter Schaffter
Subject: [Groff] PDFPIC macro
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2014 14:51:49 -0400

Attached is a proposal for a general use PDFPIC macro.  It's
modelled after and takes exactly the same arguments as PSPIC.

Since there's no groff pdf equivalent to .psbb, an external
program is used to get the image dimensions (pdfinfo(1) from the
poppler-utils package).  The alternative is to require users to get
the dimensions themselves and make width/height required arguments.
I prefer not to take that approach since my idea is that PSPIC and
PDFPIC should behave identically, making everybody's life easier.

In the case of PDFPIC not being used with gropdf(1), an external
program (pstopdf(1)) is used to convert the pdf file to eps, whence
processing is passed over to PSPIC.  This seemed simpler than
re-inventing the wheel.

Comments and suggestions, please.

--
Peter Schaffter