Re: [Groff] PDFPIC macro

From: Deri James
Subject: Re: [Groff] PDFPIC macro
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2014 16:32:48 +0100

On Thu 18 Sep 2014 09:42:23 Peter Schaffter wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 18, 2014, Keith Marshall wrote:
> > > On 17/09/14 22:22, Peter Schaffter wrote:
> > > Yes.  The way groff stands now, I'm uneasy relying on external tools
> > > and .sy for anything but local, user-written macros.  There's precedent,
> > > though, in www.tmac (PIMG), and this seems to be the best solution
> > > for PDF images.
> >
> > Do note, however, that this will compromise portability; e.g. pdfinfo is
> > unlikely to be supported on MS-Windows hosts.  Also, since .sy is an
> > intrinsically unsafe request, any macro which relies on it *must* be
> > invoked in unsafe mode, and users should rightly be wary of enabling
> > that, for untrusted sources.
>
> Are there any tools that can be used in place of pdfinfo that are
> Windows safe?  Sorry, I haven't done Windows since...well...ever. :)
>
> Would an addition to the warning emitted by the macro be sufficient
> to alert users to the potential dangers of -U?

I do have a perl program which extracts the relevent MediaBox ArtBox TrimBox
BleedBox CropBox, it uses the same code as the gropdf driver uses to actually
action the:-

\X’pdf: pdfpic file alignment width height line-length’

So it has a similar chance of working as the driver! I will send you a copy,
see what you think.