Re: [Groff] new automake system

From: Blake McBride
Subject: Re: [Groff] new automake system
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2014 10:23:08 -0500

On Wed, Sep 24, 2014 at 12:09 AM, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:

> > IMO, if the new make system requires a download of something that is
> > already built and installed on my machine, then the new make system
> > is significantly worse than using the standard ./configure.
>
> What Bertrand is working on affects the bootstrapping process, this
> is, building everything from the `git' repository.  Yes, this now
> needs a lot more of resources, at the advantage of much easier
> maintainance for the developer.

Making it more dependent on versions of other software that are _currently_
available on the Internet means that older copies of groff will no longer
build when those other repositories have moved, are no longer available, or
old versions of those libraries are not where expected.  We are becoming
increasingly dependent on a moving target.  ./configure had a much less
problem with this.  This is a big issue.