Re: [Groff] [heirloom] getting dashes when a line is requested

From: Carsten Kunze
Subject: Re: [Groff] [heirloom] getting dashes when a line is requested
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2014 20:38:49 +0200 (CEST)

Blake McBride <address@hidden> wrote:

> Also, how does groff get around the problem?

groff may use a true line where ditroff may use the "_" and "|" characters.

> Given that most documents are probably viewed via screen these days, and
> the ugliness of the dashes, I'd think this is important to fix.

Have you tested that with PDF?  If I magnify it I see a continous line.

That all is a "feature" of ditroff.  ditroff has been designed with typesetters
in mind, viewing on the screen was nearly impossible in early troff days.

It may not be a big problem to use maybe \D commands.  But is it really
required to change this?

   Carsten