Re: [Groff] Strange error messages from Groff 1.22.3

From: Mike Bianchi
Subject: Re: [Groff] Strange error messages from Groff 1.22.3
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2014 09:45:33 -0500

On Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 01:24:36PM +0000, Ralph Corderoy wrote:
>       :
> > Indeed, this is true for (almost) all groff header files.  For some
> > reason, Clark decided to code it that way, not providing guards
> > against loading header files multiple times.  I haven't changed that.
>
> Gets my vote.  :-)  It's a Bell Labs style of programming seen widely in
> Plan 9.  Rob Pike has also written about it since the 1980s.  Header
> files should not be #include'd multiple times;  nor should they #include
> others.  They should state their needs and be #include'd once in the
> C(++) file, in an appropriate order.  Guards are verboten.

Rant:

Sounds to me like blaming the victim.
A simple
        #include_once
directive in the preprocessor would fix the multiple include problem.

>       http://talks.golang.org/2012/splash.article
        Go at Google: Language Design in the Service of Software Engineering

I found that Go language article by Pike worth reading.
Now it is a simple matter of translating Groff into Go.  ;)

--
 Mike Bianchi