Re: [Groff] is .NP still in ms?

From: Keith Marshall
Subject: Re: [Groff] is .NP still in ms?
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2015 05:28:49 +0000

On 03/02/15 12:05, Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
> In the "UNIX processing handbook", 1988, there is a mention of .NP
> macro for ms macros.

I assume you mean the reference on page 105, (in the PDF version of UTP,
as produced by various subscribers to this list)?  Whilst it could have
been more clearly expressed, I think that, in referring to it as an
*internal* macro, it is implicit that Dale Dougherty and Tim O'Reilly
mean an *undocumented* feature of whatever reference implementation of
ms they were working with at the time.

> I cannot find it groff 1.22 ms. Has it been dropped?

As others have already suggested, I doubt that it was ever there; groff
tends to use long macro names, like "address@hidden" for its ms internals.  As
with all things undocumented, it is generally unsafe to rely on them if
you value portability and longevity of support.  Thus, even if you
determine that address@hidden is the groff ms equivalent of UTP's NP, it would
be unwise to use it if you want your document source to be processable
by any implementation of ms other than groff's.

Later in UTP, you will find hints on how to induce a pseudo page
transition on to the first page, (using .fl and 'bp).  Perhaps you could
adapt the technique to your needs.

--
Regards,
Keith.