Re: [Groff] Typesetting Russian text using pdfmom

From: Dale Snell
Subject: Re: [Groff] Typesetting Russian text using pdfmom
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2015 14:50:24 -0800

On Fri, 6 Nov 2015 09:35:11 +1300, in message
address@hidden, Koz Ross
wrote:

> I'm trying to compile a document full of Russian, which Emacs renders
> without issue. When I try to call 'pdfmom -K utf-8 sourcefile.mom >
> outputfile.pdf', I get a whole pile of warnings that look like this:
>
> sourcefile.mom:2: warning: can't find special character `u0410'
> [these repeat a few times with different characters]
> sourcefile.mom:3: warning: can't find special character `u0413'
> [these repeat a few more times with different character codes]
> sourcefile.mom:3: can't translate character code 208 to special
> character `-D' in transparent throughput [these repeat a whole bunch
> of times, with a bunch of codes, many of which appear many times]
>
> The end result comes out full of garbage symbols. What am I doing
> wrong here?

Which font are you using?  It looks to me like you're using a font
that doesn't have any Cyrillic character glyphs.  So far as I
know, the standard font files do not contain Cyrillic characters.
The "U-*" (e.g., U-PR) font files do, however.  (They also contain
things like "ō", which I use.)

If you are using a font with Cyrillic characters, then I have no
idea what's up.  :-(  In that case, you might want to post a
minimal .mom file that exhibits this problem, so that the denizens
here can look at it and suggest remedies.

Hope this helps.

--Dale

--
Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the
usual way.  This happens to us all the time with computers, and