Re: [Groff] Typesetting Markup Language (TML) - a Superset of Groff

From: James K. Lowden
Subject: Re: [Groff] Typesetting Markup Language (TML) - a Superset of Groff
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2016 13:17:28 -0500

On Sat, 23 Jan 2016 12:17:35 -0500
Larry Kollar <address@hidden> wrote:

> IIRC, James Clark wrote the only open-source SGML parser around, and
> it didn?t support the full syntax. By contrast, there are XML parsers
> in just about every language out there including awk.

AFAIK Clark's jade is the only free SGML parser.  While it's true that
it leaves certain features unsupported, I never bumped into them while
writing the user guide for FreeTDS.

I suspect that SGML included minimization because it was at least
sometimes intended to be written by by hand.  The unfulfilled hope of
XML was that tools would produce and use XML, and that we humans would
produce and use those tools.

--jkl