Re: [Groff] Times-Roman v. Nimbus Roman No9 L Regular.

From: Deri James
Subject: Re: [Groff] Times-Roman v. Nimbus Roman No9 L Regular.
Date: Thu, 05 May 2016 16:35:54 +0100

On Thu 05 May 2016 15:13:34 Ralph Corderoy wrote:
> Hi Deri,
>
> > One way to add the URW fonts post groff install is to run the
> > BuildFoundries program after you have cd'd into the devpdf font
> > directory. Within this directory you should find a file called
> > "Foundry". Make sure line 68 includes the path to the URW fonts,
> > then:-
> >
> >     BuildFoundries .
>
> Thanks for all the detail.  Should this be a part of groff's `install'
> make-file target so it snapshots the system's fonts at that point?
>
> Does anyone here happen to know if other distributions, e.g. Debian,
> have some `installed fonts have changed, update various caches' command?
>
> Cheers, Ralph.

Hi Ralph,

It is part of the groff install, when you compile from source. The problem is
that most installations are from compiled binaries, so this step either needs
to be done by the packager, who would then need to make the URW fonts a
dependency, which is unlikely to happen because most packagers already split
groff into more than one package, splitting out the minimum to handle man
pages and have minimal dependencies, not even requiring perl.

Perhaps, what I should do is make BuildFoundries a proper documented
executable rather than an installation "helper" as it is now. So users can run
it post install of groff. Perennial problem is documentation, I'm very slow
and not very good at doing it!

Cheers

Deri