Re: [Groff] Converting basic units to inches in PostScript

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Groff] Converting basic units to inches in PostScript
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2016 15:48:51 +0100

Hi Damian,

> > Sadly, I was under the 35 year impression you could. But in my
> > letterhead where I use
> >
> >     .ti +5i
> >
> > to offset the date, I realised nroff/groff(tty) and troff/groff(a4)
> > are only approximately correct.

I agree with Larry.  It's easy to see that groff's PostScript output
spaces the two `|' five inches of 72 points per inch apart.

    $ groff >t.ps

    .ti +5i

    $ grep /F0 t.ps
    /F0 10/address@hidden SF(|)72 12 Q(|)432 24 Q 0 Cg EP
    $ expr 432 - 72
    360
    $ expr 5 \* 72
    360

nroff here is doing that at 10 characters per inch, or 10 "pitch", as
we'd expect from a typewriter.

Cheers, Ralph.