Re: [Groff] *roff for desktop publishing - is it feasible?

From: Robert Thorsby
Subject: Re: [Groff] *roff for desktop publishing - is it feasible?
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2016 08:40:43 +1100

On 24/10/16 08:26:36, Gerard Lally wrote:
Well the sample is meaningless; I searched for a "desktop publishing" image and chose that one at random as a reasonably complex example of what I had in mind. Good typography is one of the reasons I am hoping to standardize on *roff. It's going to be a lifetime commitment for me. I can see its value with regard to normal document formatting, but I was curious to know whether it could be pushed to handle more complex DTP, brochure and business card layouts.

Sorry for my earlier glib reply.

Groff works very close to the metal so, in broad terms, it can do anything because you are not fettered by unavoidable "presets". In fact, although groff has many presets and default values that are designed to make life easier for the user, they can all be overridden or worked around.

I used groff for the layout of my business cards (a relatively simple design with a faded background image). The subsequent PDF file was used without difficulty by MOO in the UK.

Cheers,
Robert