Re: [Groff] *roff for desktop publishing - is it feasible?

From: Damian McGuckin
Subject: Re: [Groff] *roff for desktop publishing - is it feasible?
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2016 10:55:12 +1100 (AEDT)

On Sun, 23 Oct 2016, Gerard Lally wrote:

Well the sample is meaningless; I searched for a "desktop publishing"
image and chose that one at random as a reasonably complex example of
what I had in mind. Good typography is one of the reasons I am hoping to
standardize on *roff. It's going to be a lifetime commitment for me. I
can see its value with regard to normal document formatting, but I was
curious to know whether it could be pushed to handle more complex DTP,
brochure and business card layouts.

I first started using Troff in 1978. Maybe Doug wants to comment on his use over time.

I have used it for primarily technical papers, reports, invoices, purchase orders, and letters for nearly 40 years. I do not use a separate DTP tool although I am an engineer who does research and who writes reports and bills people for time+materials.

I have most certainly have used it for our business cards which do use a (separately purchased) Adobe font. I have also used groff for brochures although its use in that role has been saldly limited by my own (lack of) artistic flair. I, like numerous people in the past, am using it for two books I am writing. Heaps of people around the world would have used it
for theses.

Regards - Damian

Pacific Engineering Systems International, 277-279 Broadway, Glebe NSW 2037
Ph:+61-2-8571-0847 .. Fx:+61-2-9692-9623 | unsolicited email not wanted here
Views & opinions here are mine and not those of any past or present employer