[Groff] Critique this bold-italic private macro for man pages

From: G. Branden Robinson
Subject: [Groff] Critique this bold-italic private macro for man pages
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2017 06:25:29 -0400

Any advice on how I can improve this?  (I'll take "no, don't even try to
do this" as read, from those who hate man(7). ;-) )

This is a private macro, not something I'm proposing as an extension to
any macro package.

.\" The bold italic font is not accessible via the man macro package.
.de BOLD-ITALIC
.  ie d an-trap \       \" Groff and Heirloom troff have this diversion.
.    ie F BI \{\        \" Is the font available?
.    itc 1 an-trap      \" Set input trap for the next logical line.
.    ft BI              \" Use the font.
.    if \\n[.$] \&\\$*  \" Emit any arguments.
.    \}
.    el \&\\$*          \" Otherwise, simply emit arguments.
.  el \&\\$*            \" Dupe because "&" cannot be used in if clauses.
..

Actual examples of usage:

.RS
.EX
.B SYSTEM (DRIVE=\c
.BOLD-ITALIC d\c
.B ,DRIVER="XTRS8",ENABLE)
Enter unit number ([4]-7): \c
.BOLD-ITALIC u
.EE
.RE
.TP
.B Using \c
.BOLD-ITALIC XTRSHARD/DCT
The
.I XTRSHARD/DCT
driver has been tested and works under both
.I LDOS
5.3.1 for Model I or III and
.IR TRSDOS / LS-DOS
6.3.1 for Model 4/4P.
.\" XXX: .RS/.RE don't indent further within this .SS->.IP environment.  Bug?
.br
.in +1i/2u
.EX
.B SYSTEM (DRIVE=\c