Re: [Groff] It is time to modernise "groff"

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] It is time to modernise "groff"
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2017 07:41:42 +0200 (CEST)

>> Note that using only straight quotes like '...' is not a good
>> replacement for input IMHO; I much prefer paired quotes.
>
> For input, absolutely.  Non-identical paired delimiters are one
> reason why $() is better than `` for process substitution in the
> shell.

Well, $(...) is not as portable as `...` – the former is a POSIX
extension and not part of the original Bourne shell.  For example,
`/bin/sh' on Solaris 10 (from September 2010, which is not that old)
doesn't support it.[*] Please bear in mind that troff is ancient, and
groff should thus probably support installation on rather ancient
versions of various operating systems.

I suggest to follow the `Portable Shell Programming' chapter in the
autoconf info manual, which gives all the glorious details – I know
that a new autoconf release is overdue, but it is still *the* resource
for such issues.  If in doubt, look into the `configure' script and
check how it is done there.

    Werner

[*] However, Solaris 11 does support it.