Re: [Groff] devpdf U-fonts and Russian

From: Tadziu Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Groff] devpdf U-fonts and Russian
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2017 13:54:44 +0200

> Other that Ghostscript's compression perhaps not being
> as good, so the image grows in bytes, does this matter?
> The resulting pixels are the same?

If ghostscript uses lossy compression, then the pixels will
be similar but not *exactly* the same.  Possibly ghostscript
might also apply color management while decompressing and
recompressing the image, but I don't really know whether
or not it does this.

> I often run ps2pdf(1) on PDF files here, e.g. from -Tpdf,
> as it often makes them use fewer bytes.

Unless you tell it not to do so, ghostscript may downsample
and/or compress images lossily, so the smaller file size
could be achieved at the expense of reduced image quality.

If your document contains only text then image compression
is not relevant, but a smaller file size might also be due
ghostscript subsetting the embedded fonts.