Re: [groff] Release Candidate 1.22.3.rc1

From: Colin Watson
Subject: Re: [groff] Release Candidate 1.22.3.rc1
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2018 11:07:56 +0000

On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 11:48:56PM +0100, Bertrand Garrigues wrote:
> I'll add a check on the presence of pkg-config in m4/groff.m4 and update
> the doc.

But the pkg-config macros themselves already do that ...

> It should be documented in INSTALL.extra rather then INSTALL.REPO as
> INSTALL.REPO described the specificities of buildin from git.

This is exactly why I suggested that it should go in INSTALL.REPO,
because pkg-config is a dependency of ./bootstrap as well as of
./configure.  ./configure itself will issue a reasonable error if
pkg-config isn't installed, but ./bootstrap will only produce the
mysterious failure that Ralph noted.

(I wouldn't object to it being documented in INSTALL.extra too.)