Re: [groff] groff as the basis for comprehensive documentation?

From: John Gardner
Subject: Re: [groff] groff as the basis for comprehensive documentation?
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2018 17:15:44 +1000

Hi Branden,

I'll reply to your query about pan-and-zoom transformations in another
thread, as I'm preparing a demo/preview to help explain what I mean. =)
Just responding to your other points:

> *the forced-full-capitalization of section titles in man page sources is
> aninformation-destroying transform done in the wrong place at the
> wrongtime.  Section headings should be capitalized as section titles
> normallyare in technical documentation: either like work titles, or
> first-letteronly, with the normal rules for proper nouns and adjectives
> respected*

I didn't bother explaining this to Ingo as I was shooting him down with his
mdoc-shaped abortions of mutated HTML and CSS mashups, and why he should
really just shut up about mandoc's "superior HTML output" when a Troff
preprocessor could generate more semantically correct and robust output.

But you're right. Writing stuff IN ALL CAPS is bad for assistive
technologies, because programs like screen-readers have no (sane) way of
distinguishing acronyms from, say, shouting or THAT LOUD LAWYER TALK you
often see in licenses and T&Cs.

That's why CSS has a dedicated property
<https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/text-transform> for
achieving this effect, without altering the underlying meaning or tone.

On 21 April 2018 at 17:06, G. Branden Robinson <address@hidden