Re: [groff] Savannah bug field usage protocol

From: Ingo Schwarze
Subject: Re: [groff] Savannah bug field usage protocol
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2018 14:45:20 +0200

Hi Branden,

that all sounds very reasonable to me, for actual bugs.

I'd only suggest one additional simplification:

All of this can and should be disregarded for changes that are so
minor that they will definitely never be mentioned in release notes
or similar.  That is certainly the case for anything so minor that
it doesn't warrant a ChangeLog entry, but i think it also applies
to trivial changes that, for whatever reason, do have a ChangeLog
entry.

For such trivial tickets, figuring out whether the typo (or whatever
it is) was present in a release, setting the "Planned Release"
field, keeping them open, and revisiting them later looks like
a waste of time and effort to me and besides clutters the bug
list.

For example, i think that the following trivial tickets ought to
be closed right away:

  27422 50990 51071 51076 51078 51417 51426 51482 51483 51502
  51513 51540 51541 51888 51598 51609 51610 51611 51695 52333
  52335 52374 52442 52444 52458 52462

That is all stuff you definitely *never* want to look at again,
under no circumstances, and it makes it hard to see actual bugs
that have been fixed.

Of course, it is a matter of taste where exactly to draw the
line between "trivial, get this out of my sight" and "bug fixed,
may be relevant for release notes", and absolute consistency is
neither possible nor required, but the groff bugtracker is so
noisy that i think getting rid of the worst trivialities would
be beneficial.

Yours,
  Ingo