Re: [groff] groff as the basis for comprehensive documentation?

From: Steffen Nurpmeso
Subject: Re: [groff] groff as the basis for comprehensive documentation?
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2018 18:55:10 +0200

Nate Bargmann <address@hidden> wrote:
 |* On 2018 19 Apr 18:47 -0500, James K. Lowden wrote:
 |> On Fri, 20 Apr 2018 01:44:06 +1000
 |> John Gardner <address@hidden> wrote:
 |I, for one, do not expect an HTML rendered version of *anything* to
 |be a faithful representation of a printed page.  The output of
 |"groff -man -Thtml ..." is reasonable for my purposes, except that I'd
 |like to be able to generate relative links in a page to other pages in
 |my project.  Maybe I just need to do some sed(1) transformation after
 |groff is done.

I have for example

  .   el .ie 'html'\*[.T]' \
  .     mx:dump-init-html
[...]
  .de mx:dump-init-html
  . \" grohtml is real shit..
  . mso html.tmac
[get HTML macros]
  . als mx:dump-xr      mx:dump-xr-html
  . als mx:dump-anchor  mx:dump-anchor-html
  . als mx:dump-ref     mx:dump-ref-html
  ..
  .
  .de mx:dump-xr-html
  . \" Cannot help it
  ..
  .
  .de mx:dump-anchor-html
  . TAG "\$2"
  . if d mx-debug \
  .   HTML <small>#\$2#</small>
  ..
  .
  .de mx:dump-ref-html
[create an active reference]
  ..

I have to excuse myself for the strong wording.

 |Note that I am only working with Groff's man macro package and do
 |understand that other macro packages may have greater demands on the
 |HTML generator.

I really want to excuse my strong wording.

--steffen