Re: [groff] mark/lineup in eqn

From: Doug McIlroy
Subject: Re: [groff] mark/lineup in eqn
Date: Wed, 02 May 2018 00:20:25 -0400

I agree it lines things up right horizontally. What I complained
about is that (at least in -ms) a separate EQ-EN pair for each
line introduces extra vertical space, so the sequence does not
look like a coherent whole. The matrix trick gives a better
display, but sacrifices any connection with ordinary math
syntax.  It makes no sense when read aloud.

Doug

Damian wrote:

When I try (the non-indented) version of this

        .S 14 16
        .EQ
        shortid ~ mark = ~ expression1
        .EN
        .SP
        .EQ
        longidentifier ~ lineup = ~ expression2
        .EN

with 'groff -mm', it does exactly what I think you want.