Re: [groff] Creating a numbered list without macros

From: Pierre-Jean Fichet
Subject: Re: [groff] Creating a numbered list without macros
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2018 14:29:49 +0200

Hello alls,

Tadziu Hoffmann <address@hidden> wrote:
> Note that I'm not saying that you should generally not
> write your own macros.  On the contrary, I'm all for it.

I must say that discussion gave me the uncomfortable feeling
that people were advocating against writing personal macros.

I think that writing a personal macro is a perfect way to use groff.
The original troff documentation is short and well done, giving enough
clues for people to dive in the language by themselves. That makes
writing macros relatively easy, and that's why I love troff, because,
unfortunately, one simply has to have a particular need in term of
data input format, layout, or localization (think at the macros formatting
refer output) to need a custom macro set or a hacked one.

Kind regards,
Pierre-Jean.